Saturday, June 7, 2008

Close Encounters of the Reptilian Kind

We had dinner at my in-laws house last night. We grilled up steaks for everyone else and chicken for me and it tasted great. It was still light outside after we ate, so Jane asked if she could take Caleb outside to play. I decided to let her, but we asked them to stay close to the house and away from any tall grass since evening is snake time.

About 10 minutes later, we heard them running toward the house and Caleb was crying really hard. We got them inside and Jane told us that there had been a rattlesnake out there and she hadn't seen it until Caleb was really close. She'd yelled at him to run to the house and (thank goodness!) he obeyed. We asked him if he'd been bitten, and he said yes, so we stripped him down. Fortunately, he was wrong. The snake hadn't gotten him. While most of us calmed him (and ourselves) down, Dad and Laura went outside and killed the snake. I think we've learned our lesson, we won't be playing outside in the evening in the desert anymore!

4 comments:

Randy and Sarah said...

I am glad that he was ot harmed adn that all turned out okay. Randy

Becky said...

It's weird how toddlers say yes when prompted. I asked Paul if he ate something poisonous when he had the bottle of it in his hands and he said yes, too, but he hadn't! What an adventure!

Stacy said...

Yikes! This really makes me want to live in Arizona ;) Although, Steve and I had a close encounter with a rattler in the mountains here last year. They are everywhere. Maybe just a little more common where you are...

Lash Family said...

How scary! Just the other day I went outside to water the reminnts of my garden when a big lizard jumped out followed by a bit rat. I'm a weeny so I sceamed and ran to the house. Good for Caleb listening to his cousin. I have to say somehting at least five times to Tanner to get him to respond.