Lately there have been articles about cloth diapering all over the place, and I've been reading them. At first I wasn't interested, but we're working hard to save money, and they really did sound pretty economical. I joined a discussion group to get advice, and ordered some diapers. We've now been cloth diapering Kaiana for a week and a half. (We're not bothering with Caleb because he should be getting potty trained soon if we're lucky.)
It's been going really well. It was kind of expensive to start off with. I figure that I'm committed until November, because I calculated it out, and that's when I'll break even cost-wise. It turns out that I ordered more diapers than I need, but I'd like a few more covers. I guess that's what comes from trusting other people's advice. ;-) However, they were really helpful and I got lots of advice for which products were good. We haven't had a leaky diaper yet, which is rather exciting. Usually we have at least one every other day or so, so this has been a nice reprieve.
Just so that those of you who babysit for me don't worry: I am still using disposables when I'm out of the house. It's just a lot easier that way, and I figure I don't have to make everyone else deal with cloth diapers just because I'm willing to. :-)
11 years ago
5 comments:
This is a little funny, but I was browsing the free ads on craigslist the other day and ran across this site: http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html. They have a free cloth diaper pattern to download available here: http://hyenacart.com/FernandFaerie/index.php?c=10&p=60782. I thought I'd keep track of it for future reference. I think cloth diapering sounds like kind of a pain, but I know my mom did it, and she's convinced that paper diapers give babies diaper rashes, so I guess I'll find out someday :)
The planet thanks you!!! Plus, if you save the diapers for future kids, you'll really do well. If my husband didn't work for Huggies, I'd probably have tried harder, too.
PS- Spiderman undies had a magical effect for Paul's potty training even though he has no idea who spiderman is- I picked some up at Mervyns.
Good for you Lisa! I always made my diapers, so they were definitely cheaper, but don't know if you can even buy diaper flannel any more:) Sounds like they are coming back in style, though.
Thanks for letting me know about your blog. My mom used cloth diapers when we were kids. Those things can be nasty to clean out! pew!
Hey Lisa My name is trish I knew you wbefore we were both married. :) But how ironic i just switched to cloth diapers also. Where did you buy yours? Youc an e-mail me at Trish_loves_jeremy2004@yahoo.com
Post a Comment