Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Employment

Well, I have a job! I'm working for a call center doing inbound customer service calls for a prescription drug company. I'll be working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, and the company is closed on Sunday so I don't have to deal with being asked to work on the Sabbath! I also have Wednesdays and Fridays off.

The job isn't really what I want to do for the next year and a half, so I'm still looking, but it's nice to have something for now. I start December 1st. Unfortunately, I have a mandatory 4 week training, so we won't be able to go to Utah to visit this Christmas. (Sorry everyone.) I didn't think to ask about vacation days, so I'll have to find out about that once training starts. The job does provide medical, dental and vision benefits as well as a 401k plan, so that's nice.

I kind of got a taste of what working life is going to be like the last few days. I've had a lot of job stuff to do, so I didn't get to spend much time with the children. Boy am I going to miss them! Kaiana's going to be 2 when Daniel graduates. I hope the time passes quickly. :-) I plan to encourage her to only reach new milestones on my days off so that I don't miss them. Think that will work? :-)

I keep forgetting to blog about Caleb and Oklahoma, but this time I remembered! Ever since Caleb's buddy Paul moved to Oklahoma, he's been obsessed with it. He's always talking about how wonderful it is and that he's going to go visit. Well, then recently he told me, "Mommy, Jesus lives in Oklahoma with Paul." I've decided to interpret it as him believing that Oklahoma is a wonderfully righteous place. The other possibility is that we've had discussions about death and how when you die you go to live with Jesus. I've tried to be clear that Paul just moved away, so hopefully he understands that! If not, I guess Paul's just going to have to come visit! ;-)

We figured out how to block Kaiana from climbing the stairs. We overturned the piano bench and tied it to the bottom step. It works really well, and I can use the bench for our kitchen table when I want to play piano. So far, Kaiana just thinks the piano bench is a lot of fun.

Kaiana got to try grapefruit yesterday and she loved it! Daniel shared his with her, so it had salt on it (I'm a sugar on grapefruit sort of person myself) and she pulled awful faces with each bite, but gobbled it all up! Today, I was gone for about 4 hours doing competency tests and interviewing, so Daniel gave her a bottle of formula. At first she wouldn't have anything to do with it, but eventually she got hungry enough to take a few sips. When she finished, she tried pushing it into Daniel's mouth as if to say, "Here! You try this nasty stuff!"

For Daniel's birthday, Caleb gave him a picture frame with a picture of Caleb and a picture of Daniel when he was about the same age. It turned out really cute. Here are the pictures I used:

Can you see the resemblance? I can! I'm also starting to notice just how similar Caleb and Kaiana look. Daniel made some movies with video clips of Caleb when he was just a little older than Kaiana is now. I can't believe how much alike they look! I'm looking forward to when Daniel makes some for Kaiana, too. :-)

3 comments:

Becky said...

Paul misses Caleb, too. Who knew they would have such a hard time with us moving. Well, we do live near Oral Roberts University, but I don't think that's where Jesus is. LOL.
Oh man, a FULL time job, that is hard! Good luck and hopefully you'll become a pro at it fast and not have any job stress. Call centers are interesting because everyone seems to smoke. I think that the non-smoking people should get paid more because they are more productive, heh, heh!

Stacy said...

I'm glad you found a job, but sad you won't be up here for Christmas :(

But we do get to see you next week :)

Her Royal Highness said...

So - Sara & I were talking today. How is your job going?