Saturday, September 13, 2008

Big eater!

Caleb has been eating a ton lately! It's a refreshing change from his old attitude of "You give me cereal or I'll starve!" (I'm a mean mom and made him go without if he wouldn't eat. ;-D) Last night I marinated some chicken and a chuck steak (chicken for me, beef for Daniel), baked some potatoes and made a nice salad. Caleb wanted to help me so he washed dishes the whole time I cooked dinner. He wanted to help me chop vegetables too, but I vetoed that idea. He really liked the idea of eating Larry the cucumber and Bob the tomato, though.

Caleb ate three whole servings of chicken! They were each about the size of the palm of his hand. He also at his entire salad (with ranch dressing, of course) and licked the butter and sour cream off of his baked potato (well, you win some, you lose some... :-P) Kaiana felt the same way about the potato. I mushed some up for her and she pulled the most awful faces! I'm actually a little offended, because she loves to chew on her daddy's boots and newspaper, and yet she's too finicky for my potatoes!

Daniel enjoyed his potato, though. He said it was the best baked potato I've ever made. To be honest, that's not saying much. For some reason I am completely inept at baking potatoes in the oven. I've tried them many different ways, and they never get soft. However, I've done them in our toaster oven a few times, and they cook well in there. I wish I knew what was wrong with my ability to cook them in a standard oven, butI figure compromising with the toaster oven will do until I have too many kids to fit them all in there.

Kaiana can scoot forward now. She doesn't really crawl, but she can get where she's going so she's satisfied. Her favorite place to play is beneath our stairs.

In case you're interested, here's the recipe for my steak/chicken marinade. Since I cook both at the same time, I like to cut the chicken into strips so that it will cook as quickly as the steak.

3/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. white vinegar
3 T. worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 T. salad oil
1 t. ground ginger
1 (2 1/2 to 3 lb) chuck steak or chicken

About 5 hours ahead: in a 9x13 glass pan, combine all ingredients. Add chuck stead and turn to coat. Cover and let meat marinate, turning occasionally.

About 30 minutes before serving, prefeat broiler. Place steak (or chicken) on rack in broiling pan, reserving marinade. Broil steak until done, brushing frequently with marinade and turning once.

5 comments:

sariqd said...

Ooh - that sounds yummy! As for the whole potato thing, my Little Man refuses to eat them. No matter HOW it's prepared. Ah well. Anyway - a trick I do to get them cooked/soft, is nuke them for 4 minutes, rotate, nuke again for 4 minutes, then put them in the oven to finish baking. I'd give you the times & temperature but I can't remember right now. :( When I do, I'll tell you. Sorry - I'm functioning on half a brain tonight. Too many kids in the house! lol!

. said...

I love to picture her face during this adventure. What is it about their father's footwear that is so appealing to them?

Pat said...

I can't believe they don't like potatoes! There must not be any Carpenter in them.
To cook potatoes, scrub then prick with a fork or knife to break the skin. Wrap in foil (or don't--they are drier that way and really good.) Place on oven rack and bake at 350 for one hour. Extra large potatoes will need more time. If you are cooking other things, just adjust the time a bit, most potatoes will cook in 45 minutes at 400, but I usually allow an hour...I have learned that cooking them too long will also make them hard. Maybe it's your oven--does it seem to cook other things at the time and temp suggested?

Trish Olsen said...

sounds super yummy. You know brekke is the same way like caleb i have no idea why toddlers are like that LOL

Her Royal Highness said...

That marinade sounds delish! I'll have to do that sometime this week. Mmmmm... marinaded chicken.
As for the potato:
I concur that wrapping in foil usually does the trick. I also have been known to coat in butter or shortening before placing in foil - works like a charm!
None of my kids liked potatoes until WAY later. Thor STILL doesn't like to eat them unless they're coated in gravy or something like that. Even then...